Pharmacy : Chemicals, Medicines, and Cures From N to Z
Object ID Number:
PH402
Object Name:
Phosphorus, N. F.
Manufactured from:
1907
Manufactured to:
1930
Description / History:
Early 20th century brown glass bottle with bakalite screw on cap. Labeled Elixir of Phosphorus, N. F. Distributed by Parke, Davis and Co.

In the 18th century Phosphorus was found to assist in the treatment of tuberculosis. Phosphorus water, a less toxic form of the element rapidly gained respectability in medical circles. In 1921 the American Medical Association recommended it for the treatment of anaemia and to facilitate new bone formation. It appeared in the British Pharmacopoeia as late as the 1950s, as treatment for nervous exhaustion, depression, pneumonia, impotence and certain eye conditions.
Dimensions:
H–7 Dia–3 inches
3D Image Information:
The 3 dimensional image can be viewed using Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox browsers.
3 Dimentional Image:
Click to Enlarge
Image