Pharmacy: Shop Furniture : Bulk containers for herbs, powders and liquids
Object ID Number:
PH143
Object Name:
Canis Pharmacy Bottles
Type:
Shop Furniture
Manufactured from:
1825
Manufactured to:
1900
Description / History:
A collection of five pharmacy shop furniture bottles from Canis Pharmacy in New York. All are hand blown clear glass with glass stoppers. The labels are paper printed with the pharmacy name and address at the bottom of the label and logo in upper left corner. The bottle contents are typed on the center of the label.

Bottle A labeled Tannic Acid Fluffy. Tannic acid has had many uses. In the 19th century it was used along with magnesium and charcoal as a treatment for many toxic poisions such as strychnine and ptomaine poisoning. Suring WWI, tannic acid dressings were prescribed to treat burns caused by incendiary bombs and mustard gas. It is still used today as an anti diarrhea agent and used to preserve corroded iron artifacts.

Bottle B labeled Acid Nitro Muriatic. Dilutum. 22 percent. Also known as Aqua regia, this is a very corrosive agent used for etching and to clean glassware of organic compounds and metal particles. It was also used to refine high quality gold.

Bottle C labeled Gifford Standard Alkaline Solution.

Bottle D labeled Aqua Mantha Piperita. Peppermint Water. 19th century physicians used peppermint water to tread diarrhea, flatulence, and vomiting.

Bottle E labeled Oil Amber Succini. Oil of Amber is a transparent, yellow oil procured from succinic acid by increasing the heating temperature. It was produced by repeated distillation. It was used in the 19th century to as am antihysteria and to stimulate blood flow in the pelvic area and uterus. This stimulation of blood flow was sometimes used to cause an abortion or the bring on menstruation to treat hormonal disorders.
Dimensions:
H–9.75 Dia–3.25 inches
3D Image Information:
The 3 dimensional image can be viewed using Google Chrome, Safari, or Firefox browsers.
3 Dimentional Image:
Click to Enlarge
Image